Our staff are working remotely but still handling queries and doing as much as possible to ensure there is minimal disruption to our services, providing alternative solutions to members where we can. However, our London office which processes our postal applications globally is currently closed until further notice, meaning we are unable to access postal applications we have received there. It will result in a delay in dealing with your postal application. However, if you have retained an electronic copy of your application, please attach this and email it to Membership.Admissions@aicpa-cima.com. This will allow us to review your information and process your application.
If you are unable to provide a scanned copy of your application, please let us know your Contact ID and we will ensure your email is addressed as soon as we can once our London office has reopened.
Completing your application for membership
You should begin recording your experience from when you first register with CIMA, using the Word documents below.
You record your experience in a career profile, which includes:
- An assessment of practical experience/membership application form (PDF 119KB) signed by a Proposer and Seconder.
- An employment summary (Word 55KB).
- A detailed record of your experience (template not available - students write this part of the application themselves).
- A record of skills development (Word 61KB).
See our presentation on completing your career profile.
Read our applying for membership brochure (PDF, 612KB) for full details of the existing Practical Experience Requirements (PER).
Download the brochure
Experience may be drawn from any of the following three areas over a period of three years or more (but a minimum of 18 months must be gained within the core area).
Relevant experience gained before registering as a student will also count.
|Area 1 - basic experience
||Area 2 - core experience
||Area 3 - supplementary experience
|1a. preparing and maintaining accounting records
||2a. preparation of management accounts
||3a. financial strategy
|1b. statutory and regulatory reporting
||2b. planning, budgeting and forecasting
||3b. corporate finance
|1c. IT desktop skills
||2c. management reporting for decision making
||3c. treasury management
|1d. systems and procedure development
||2d. product and service costing
||2e. information management
||3e. business evaluation and appraisal
||2f. project appraisal
||3f. business strategy
||2g. project management
||3g. external relationships
||2h. working capital control
||2i. risk management and business assurance
Academic and audit experience
Our academic (PDF 48KB), internal audit (PDF 33KB) and external audit (PDF 33KB) guidelines explain whether your experience in these areas can be used as part of your application.
Submitting your application for membership
You can submit your CIMA membership application by:
- Email - full application scanned in high quality, full colour to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post - full application sent to 'CIMA, The Helicon, One South Place, London, EC2M 2RB'. Note: in the current climate, due to Covid-19, it may take us longer to review postal applications.
- Face-to-face membership assessment sessions - please check website for dates and locations.
Have a question?
Contact our customer service team at email@example.com.