As the world economy recovers and unemployment drops, youth unemployment remains stubbornly high; yet over 25% of companies have entry-level vacancies which they cannot fill. McKinsey's Education to Employment: Getting Europe's Youth into Work report shows employers, education providers and youth operating in 'parallel universes'.
Since 2009 the UK government has viewed apprenticeships a strong way to alleviate youth unemployment and in 2013, in the UK alone over 1 million people took part in an apprenticeship scheme, many of them government funded. At the the event, held during National Apprenticeship Week, the panellists asked what educators, employers and professionals can do to solve this growing issue.
The CIMA Higher Apprenticeship Scheme was highlighted as a tangible example of what CIMA is doing to alleviate the youth unemployment/skills talent gap. Experian, Fujistu and Siemens are just three of the employers that have already adopted the scheme.
- Charles Tilley FCMA, CGMA: Chief Executive of CIMA, and a prominent advocate for global reform of corporate reporting and a commentator on a wide range of business and management accounting issues.
- Mike Iddon: Tesco Group Planning, Treasury & Tax Director.
- Mona Mourshed: a senior partner with McKinsey & Company, and leader of its Global Education Practice. Mona has served governments, multi-lateral donors, and foundations around the world on school system improved programmes and education to employment solutions. Mona has a B.A. from Stanford University and a Ph.D. from MIT
- Professor Veronica Hope Hailey PhD: Dean of the School of Management at the University of Bath. Veronica has worked across a wide range of business schools including the Judge Business School at Cambridge, and Cranfield School of Management.
- Tony Hartney CBE: been headteacher at Gladesmore Community School in Tottenham since September 1999 having previously worked in London schools throughout his career.
- Tony Manwaring: Chief Executive of Tomorrow's Company, a UK-based global think tank shaping the future of business success. Tony is a member of the City Values Forum, which emerged from the previous Lord Mayor's Restoring Trust in the City initiative, and also leads the Forum's work on Governing Values.
Watch the keynote speech by Mona Mourshed: