CPA Australia and CIMA, both full members of IFAC, share common and strong interests in the advancement of the accountancy profession.
Recognising that global portability is increasingly important for professional accountants around the world and to take advantage of opportunities for our members, CIMA and CPA Australia entered into a mutual recognition agreement to provide:
- Recognition of their respective members’ prior qualifications.
- Membership services to each other’s members in their ‘home’ locations.
As of 1 January 2017 the existing MRA is replaced by the new Member Pathway Agreement (MPA) and there will be additional study requirements.
You may be eligible to apply for membership with CPA Australia if you did not gain entry to membership with CIMA through another mutual recognition agreement or special member pathway. Please note that it is CPA Australia’s discretion on members admission.
CIMA members applying to CPA Australia
- For the step-by-step application process view here.
- You may be eligible to apply for membership with CPA Australia if you did not gain entry to membership with CIMA through another mutual recognition agreement or special member pathway. Please note that it is CPA Australia’s discretion on members admission.
- For successful applicants, CIMA members to CPA applicants will need to complete Better Practice in Governance and Accountability (online course).
While CPA Australia has a degree requirement, it recognises that the CIMA qualification is regarded as a post-graduate Master's level qualification.
CPA Australia members applying to CIMA
- You will need to register as a student here and pay for the registration fee. See the latest list of application and subscription fees.
- Please remember to attach a copy of the Letter of Good Standing issued by CPA Australia.
- Upon successful application, you are required to schedule and sit for the Strategic Case Study exam. There are four windows a year when you can sit the case study exams (February; May; August; and November). Click here for more details.
- Once you have passed the Strategic Case Study exam, you are required to file for the CIMA membership application. Click here for more details.
- Upon successful application, you will be awarded CIMA membership and CGMA designation.
Conditions apply, including maintaining membership of both bodies, and further information can be found here: CIMA members applying to CPA Australia.