CIMA has renewed its mutual recognition agreement with CMA. This agreement allows members of both organisations to gain reciprocal membership.
CIMA applicants must demonstrate accreditation or certification requirements that are equivalent to the CMA Canada accreditation requirement, as well as satisfy admission requirements set out by the provincial or territorial society in which they live or work.
CIMA members are eligible for membership in CMA Canada and will receive the same benefits as current CMA Canada members.
The requirements for CIMA members to become CMA Canada members are detailed below:
- Have a university degree or the equivalent of a university degree.
- If the member does not have a university degree they must have five years of experience in a senior management accounting position. Without getting into details, typically it would include positions of director, vice president etc. Individuals who have experience as managers or below would not typically qualify under this category.
- Applicants must have at least two years of practical experience at a managerial level.
- Applicant must be a member in good standing with CIMA without any outstanding disciplinary complaints, charges or investigations.
- Applicants must have completed the full CIMA programme. If they gained CIMA membership through other means (such as an MRA), it is the discretion of CMA Canada as to whether they will be accepted.
- The one provincial exception is that members applying to CMA Quebec will be subject to a French language requirement.
To apply for CMA membership, CIMA members will need to contact the CMA provincial office in the province where they live and work.
CMA Application Tips (PDF 490 KB)