CIMA has an established centre of excellence (COE) in South Africa to engage innovative research being undertaken in the Southern African region. The COE will collaborate with universities, the public sector and key industry players in this region to ensure the areas of research and related outputs are market driven and relevant.
Outputs will include research reports and cutting edge tools and techniques that will address issues raised by the industry. These solutions will be vital in guiding critical business decisions and driving strong performance in financial and operational reality.
The research, which will be led by CIMA, will help to develop the CIMA brand within the accounting field in this region as well as increase awareness of the benefits of using management accounting tools and concepts to gain a competitive edge. It will also provide CIMA with a better understanding of employers’ needs in the region and help develop a truly global industry relevant syllabus and CPD resources appropriate for local use.
How does it work?
The COE will adopt the same strategy as CIMA’s research and development department and strive to ensure the same level of high calibre, industry and member relevant research that CIMA already produces.
In 2018 the COE will issue two calls for research grant applications. These initiatives will only be available to regionally based academics or practitioners. The two calls are aimed at separate applicants:
- Experienced academics and practitioners
- Early career researchers/those in the final stages of a Master's or PhD
2018 research grant scheme
We invite applications for research funding from academics and practitioners that focus on the CGMA Global Management Accounting Principles (GMAPs) and their application to 14 different practice areas.
Management accounting is at the heart of quality decision making, because it brings to the fore the most relevant information and analysis to generate and preserve value. The principles guide best practice and can be used to support the development, execution and refinement of strategy through the performance management system, as well as to support the core activities of the management accounting function.
How to apply
If you are an experienced researcher and wish to apply for a research grant, please download:
- Application form (Word 134KB)
- Guidance notes (PDF 137KB)
If you are an early career researcher and wish to apply for a Seedcorn research grant, please download:
- Application form (Word 40kb)
- Guidance notes (PDF 385KB)
For both applicants:
- Sample contract (PDF 153KB)
- FAQ document (PDF 209KB)
Candidates can request to be sent a sample application form from a previous successful applicant in order to offer them guidance. Should they be shortlisted for interview, they will be provided with the criteria scoring document used by the panel when conducting interviews.
Key 2018 dates
- Deadline for proposals submissions: Sunday 26 August 2018
- Expected notification date: Friday 31 August 2018
- Interviews for shortlisted applicants: 13 September 2018
Projects awarded grants by the COE
Find out more about the projects awarded grants in 2014 and 2015
The research panel in the South Africa region is represented by:
- Dr. Sanlie Middelberg, PhD (Mgt Acc), MCom (Mgt Acc), ACMA, CGMA, Senior Lecturer, North-West University. Chairperson.
- Dr. Elda du Toit, ACMA, CGMA, PA(SA), DCom (Financial Management), MCom (Financial Management), Post Graduate Diploma in Investigative and Forensic Accounting, BCom (Hons)(Financial Management), BCom (Informatics), Lecturer, University of Pretoria. Deputy Chairperson.
- Mr. Andres Merino, BSc (Econ), MSc (Econ), ACMA, CGMA, Senior Lecturer at the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Mrs Adele Oosthuizen, BCom (Education), BCom Hons (Financial Management), BCom Hons (Accounting), MCom (Financial Management), ACMA, CGMA, CA(SA), Senior Lecturer: University of Johannesburg
- Prof Bienkie Shuttleworth, DCom (Financial Management), MCom (Accounting), Hons BCom (Management Accounting). Head: Graduate Studies and Research in the College of Accounting Sciences, Unisa.
- Mr Roelof Baard, BCommHons, MBA, Senior Lecturer: Stellenbosch University.
For any queries, please contact email@example.com