CIMA Professors are tasked with raising the profile of the profession and helping CIMA to help to develop world class management accountancy research and intellectual capital.
Key to the role is building relationships with important stakeholders and presenting at high profile events.
The current CIMA Professor is Wim Van der Stede, a professor of management accounting at the London School of Economics and Political Science, who has been CIMA Professor since 2008.
He obtained a PhD in Economics from the University of Ghent, Belgium and has held a variety of professional positions, including Assistant Professor at the University of Southern California and Visiting Professor at the ESSEC Paris, France.
He has published many articles and his awards include the AAA Notable Contribution to Management Accounting Literature Award in 2007 and the USC Marshall School of Business MBA.PM Golden Apple Teaching Award in 2005.
His recent activities include:
- Publication in EAA Newsletter (Van der Stede W (2012), Research Impact and Relevance, EAA Newsletter (Sept.), 20-21)
- Presentation at CIMA’s Anthony Howitt Lecture in London (May 2011)
- Keynote speaker at EIASM New Directions in Management Accounting Conference, Brussels (December 2010)
Become a visiting professor
CIMA also likes to sponsor academics and practitioners involved in leading edge management accounting research and development work, for short visits to the UK. The purposes of the visits are to
- Exchange ideas and information about management accounting issues
- Develop international collaborative links
- Enable participation in international programmes
The visit could include a public lecture, or a keynote article for submission to CIMA’s magazine Financial Management.
To apply or nominate for a visiting professorship, download the application form (Word 52KB) and the policy and application procedure (PDF 51KB).
Previous visiting professors
- 2009: Professor Shannon Anderson, Associate Professor at Rice University, Texas, USA. View her presentation slides (PDF 332KB)
- 2008: Professor Wai Fong Chua, the Senior Associate Dean of the Australian School of Business. View her presentation slides (PDF 139KB).
- 2007: Professor Michael Shields from Michigan State University visited CIMA. View his presentation slides (PDF 139KB).
- 2006: Professor Joan Luft from Michigan State University visited CIMA. View her presentation slides (PDF 101KB).
- 2004: Professor David Larcker, from Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania, visited the London School of Economics. View his presentation slides (PDF 186KB).
- 2002: Professor Lee Parker from Adelaide University visited Glasgow University. Read his presentation (PDF 100KB).
- 2001: Professor David Cooper, Macquarie Graduate School of Management in Sydney, visited the London School of Economics. Read his speech (PDF 61KB).
- 2000: Professor James Guthrie, Macquarie Graduate School of Management in Sydney, visited Royal Holloway, London. Read his lecture (PDF 91KB).
- 1999: Professor Regina Herzlinger from Harvard University visited Edinburgh. Read a transcript of her lecture (PDF 107KB) or view the presentation slides (PDF 497KB).