Recording your practical experience
You should begin recording your experience from when you first register with CIMA, using the Word documents below.
You record your experience in a career profile, which includes:
- An assessment of practical experience/membership application form (PDF 754KB) signed by a proposer and seconder.
- An employment summary (Word 55KB).
- A detailed record of your experience.
- A record of skills development (Word 61KB).
Writing your application
See this presentation on completing your career profile (PDF 90KB).
NB: The write up of your experience should be of your own design, as it is a test of your report writing skills. Applications found to be using a predefined template may be returned, un-assessed, until such time as they are written in an original format.
When writing up your experience, think about the following when describing relevant tasks:
- Who did you report to?
- How did you actually approach the task?
- How often did you do it?
- Why did it need to be done?
- Who was the end user/customer?
- What software/IT did you use?
- How many people helped you or were you part of a team?
- What was the outcome?
Academic and audit experience
Our academic (PDF 48KB), internal audit (PDF 33KB) and external audit (PDF 33KB) guidelines explain whether your experience in these areas can be used as part of your application.