Read the latest news items below, or see our newsletter.
CIMA India and Thomas Cook India to provide smooth payment facilities
CIMA’s India liaison office has a proposal from Thomas Cook India Limited (Foreign Exchange Services) to provide a convenient and efficient method for students and members to pay their fees in GBP.
Advantages of this facility are:
- Accessibility: facility available at Thomas Cook branches in India (PDF 67KB).
- Convenience: Thomas Cook will accept cash up to Rs50,000 and cheques in INR, as payment for foreign currency demand drafts.
- Speed: Thomas Cook will issue the GBP draft for the CIMA fees – over the counter, if payment is by cash and if payment is by cheque, after the cheque is cleared.
- Minimum documentation: The students have to carry the following documents for the draft to be processed:
a. A valid government issued photo id (passport, driving license, election card or UID; College ID card not admissible)
b. The copy of the email from CIMA with their contact ID, confirming their registration/exam entry/request for payment of membership fee, with details of what fees need to be paid
- Cost: TCIL will charge 1.5% of the transaction value as a transaction fee. This is far less than credit card companies charge for Forex transactions and also less than what some banks charge for Forex demand drafts.
Students and members of CIMA can use these services for payment of any fee to CIMA – registration, annual subscription, exam entry or exemption fees.
ET NOW roundtable panel discussion
CIMA organised a round table panel discussion with ET Now to achieve the following objectives:
- Explore and share the building blocks needed to manage responsible businesses, with inputs from the panellists
- Share new perspectives on the impact of reputation and ethical behaviour on business
- Discuss if reputation and ethics can be effectively measured for a business
- Discuss how employee behaviour, external environmental pressures on ethical behaviour and ethical misdemeanor impact upon the business, reputation and goodwill
- Explore best practices in building responsible ethical behaviour in organisations, including the role of the ‘tone from the top’, business vision and values in doing so.
Watch the discussion below:
The panel was chaired by the following dignitaries:
- Mr Andrew Harding, Managing Director, CIMA – lead panellist
- Mr Girish Bhat, CFO, Gammon India
- Mr Neville Dumasia, Partner, Risk Advisory, Ernst & Young
- Mr Keshav Murugesh, CEO, WNS.
The discussion was aired on ET Now on 28 July 2012. An advertorial was also carried in all editions of the corporate dossier.
CIMA Managing Director visits India
CIMA Managing Director Andrew Harding visited India recently, for two events at Delhi and Bangalore attended by members and students. The events saw a panel discussion about the report 'Managing Responsible Business: A global survey on business ethics'.
The events were started by Ms Arati Porwal, Chief Representative, CIMA India Liasion Office, sharing the key happenings and achievements by the CIMA India Team. That was followed by the panel discussion.
At the Bangalore event Mr Sanjay Ramanujam shared his views on the report. Mr Ramanujam is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CPA, US) and CIMA. He is currently heading real estate at Biodiversity Conservation India Private Limited, which is based out of Bangalore and is one of the largest sustainable developers in the country.
At the Delhi event, Mr Sidharth Vishwanath, Executive Director, Risk and Advisory, PWC, shared his insights into the issue of ethics and spoke about how management in an organisation can incorporate ethics and why it should.
The session ended with questions and interaction with the audience.
CIMA sponsors ‘Great Place To Work’
CIMA was an associate partner this year for the awards of the Great Place To Work Institute, which conducts surveys globally on best workplaces. This was the ninth year of their study in India. This year the study had expanded beyond the 50 best workplaces.
The award ceremony was attended by HR Heads and/or CEOs of the winning companies. Murali Sundaram, National Head, Enterprise Relations, presented some awards.
CIMA launches BBM professional programme with Manipal University
CIMA has partnered with Manipal University to launch a three year BBM professional programme. The key objective is to bridge the existing gap between currently available programs and the present industry requirements – in terms of strong globally relevant accounting and finance skills.
The department of commerce at Manipal inducted its first batch of BBM professional students on 20 July 2012. Mr M Narendra, Chairman and Managing Director, Indian Overseas Bank, inaugurated the event, and highlighted the current banking scenario and challenges ahead for the financial institutions in restructuring the global economy. He also spoke on the benefits of the specialised banking and finance programme to the financial institution in finding market ready talent
Ms Arati Porwal, Chief Representative, CIMA India liaison, was the chief guest for the event. Arati highlighted the history and growth of professional degrees in today’s dynamic world, saying 'a value add job prospect always seeks a value-add degree.'
Mr Sandeep S Shenoy, Head of the department of commerce, welcomed the gathering. Mr Shenoy briefed the highlights of the course and the bright future ahead for the students through Manipal University.
CIMA signs MOU with Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning
CIMA and Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) have come together to offer a post graduate diploma in management from SCDL combined with an advanced diploma in management accounting from CIMA.
The CIMA-SCDL programme allows you to complete a corporate postgraduate diploma in business administration (PGDBA) with dual specialisation in finance and management accounting, as well as the CIMA advanced diploma in management accounting.
Any graduate from a UGC recognised university can join the programme; there is no entrance test or any percentage requirement in graduation. Admissions to the program is open till 3 August 2012.
The MoU was signed by Andrew Harding, Managing Director and Arati Porwal, Chief Representative India, on behalf of CIMA and Dr Swati Mujumdar, Principal Director, Symbiosis Open Education Society, on behalf of SCDL, on 10 July 2012 in Pune.
CIMA Deputy President visits India
Mr Gulzari Babber, CIMA Deputy President, was in India for a whirlwind visit during the week of 14-20 January 2012. Mr Babber met and interacted with the press, CIMA students, members, tuition partners and business leaders, through a series of events during his visit. His itinerary included Mumbai, Bengaluru and Delhi.
Mr Babber is the first person of Indian origin to be elected as deputy president of CIMA and he will be president next year. He runs an independent management accounting practice in London. He has been associated with CIMA’s council and committees, such as the professional standards committee and the marketing committee.
Television interview with regional director
Watch a television interview with Bradley Emerson, regional director of CIMA – South Asia, Middle East and North Africa.