Company accounts - introduction
Event type: Mastercourse
Read an annual report with confidence
10 November 2015 - 09:00
Price: GBP 615.00
CDS member price: £490. CIPD member price: £490. CIPD members should complete and return the booking form below under comments. Plus VAT on all prices.
Who will benefit
All who are new to financial statements or feel they need a deeper understanding of what they mean and how to work with and interpret them.
If you are a CIPD member and would like to book your place on this course, please download and complete the booking form and email it back to us. Please ensure you include your CIPD membership number in order to receive the discount.
What you can gain
An understanding of the primary financial statements and other main contents of published annual company accounts. The focus is on defining accounting terms and explaining key concepts so that you will be able to read an annual report with confidence. Both UK GAAP and IFRS accounting presentations are discussed.
How do accounts work?
- Objectives of accounts - who uses them?
- Sources of regulation.
- Principles underlying financial reporting especially the matching principle.
Contents of published accounts.
- Reading an annual report.
- Identifying key information.
- Understanding the main terms.
- Why use double entry?
- Simple exercise on how double entry works.
The financial statements.
- What do financial statements tell you?
- Balance sheet or statement of financial position.
- Profit and loss account or income statement.
- Cash flow statements.
Linking the statements together.
- Profit versus cash.
- The link between the balance sheet, the profit and loss statement and the statement of cash flows.
Getting to grips with accounting jargon.
- Tangible and intangible assets.
- Current assets.
- Shareholders' equity.
- Sales, EBIT and net income.
- Retained profit.
- Cash flow.
No prior knowledge of company accounts is assumed.
The course starts at 9.00am. Lunch and refreshments are included.
6 CPD hours (where applicable)
CIMA Mastercourses held in partnership with BPP
Find out more
If you have any queries please email or phone us on +44 (0)845 026 4722.
CIMA on demand
CIMA on demand is a high quality online professional development solution, specifically designed for busy finance and business professionals. Find out more