Claims against accountants on the increase - how to mitigate the risks
Event type: Mastercourse
CIMA members and students should log in to their MY CIMA account before placing their booking in order to receive the appropriate discounts.
19 December 2014 - 09:30
Price: GBP 599.00
Member price: £539. CDS member price: £415. Plus VAT on all prices.
Who will benefit
This course will benefit all accountants - whatever their field – as well as consultants and practitioners who offer services to corporate accountants.
What you can gain
With professional negligence (and other) claims against accountants on the increase – how can accountants mitigate the risks?
Recession-related claims have led to a significant rise in the numbers of accountants being sued. Whilst lawyers differentiate between negligence, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties, the accountants who may be sued for large amounts of money just want to know: who could sue them; for what; and (most importantly) what they can do to mitigate the risk.
This course will provide useful practical tips on what accountants can do when they return to the office to avoid being sued. This interactive course uses exercises based on real life cases where accountants were being sued for millions to highlight the key legal, regulatory and practical points.
- When a duty of care is owed and who could bring an action for negligence.
- The standard of care expected of accountants and what evidence could be put forward to show that standard has been reached.
- Methods of mitigating risk and liability.
- The terms of your retainer.
- The scope of duty in the retainer.
- How to incorporate effective limitation clauses.
- Using disclaimers effectively.
- Fiduciary duties.
- Contractual and structural methods of limiting fiduciary duties.
- Other consequences of negligent performance.
CIMA members and students should log in to their MY CIMA account in order to receive the appropriate discounts.
The course starts at 9.30am. Lunch and refreshments are included.
6 CPD hours (where applicable)
CIMA Mastercourses held in partnership with BPP
Find out more
If you have any queries please email or phone us on +44 (0)845 026 4722.
CIMA on demand
CIMA on demand is a high quality online professional development solution, specifically designed for busy finance and business professionals. Find out more