Event type: Mastercourse
Investigating the dark side of business
CIMA members and students should log in to their MY CIMA account before placing their booking in order to receive the appropriate discounts.
16 December 2014 - 09:30
Price: GBP 599.00
Member price: £539. CDS member price: £415. Plus VAT on all prices.
Who will benefit
CEOs and their financial directors and controllers, internal and external auditors, plus other financial managers.
What you can gain
- Tools to identify, investigate and prevent fraud.
- An understanding of the law regarding fraud.
- How to interview suspects or witnesses.
- Tools to analyse the accounts to identify fraud.
Presented by a forensic accountant experienced in fraud investigations who is also a criminal barrister, the course will provide both an accountancy and a legal insight and include many true life fraud case studies.
Mike Mason, Forensic Accountant and Barrister
Mike has 20 years' experience as a forensic accountant and was for eight years the Ministry of Defence Fraud Squad's external fraud investigator. He is also a qualified barrister and presents the BPP forensic accountancy course for the Bar Standards Board.
- Case study to demonstrate 'teeming and lading'.
- Definitions of fraud and the burden and standard of proof.
- An analysis of fraud in the UK: where it is happening, type of fraud, value and frequency of fraud.
- Who is the fraudster: the profile of the typical fraudster.
- What causes fraud - the fraud triangle: motivations and the Albrecht study showing how the fraud develops.
- The law covering fraud: the Fraud Act 2006, Bribery Act 2010, other legislation.
- Fraud types: misappropriation of assets; financial statement fraud; third party fraud - mortgage fraud, Ponzi schemes, tax fraud.
- How do we detect fraud and investigate it - six fraud types analysed.
- Indicators of fraud and warning signs to look out for.
- Tools to analyse the financial statements to identify fraud.
- What should you do when a fraud is detected? Should you go to the police? Prosecuting fraud - the criminal or civil route?
- Fraud interviews: the techniques of interviewing witnesses and suspects - how can this help you?
- Auditors - what are their responsibilities in relation to fraud; International Auditing Standard 240 - what does it mean for auditors?
- Preventing fraud - the importance of accountancy controls - which ones work?
- Case studies demonstrating the importance of accountancy controls when a case goes to court.
- The companies most susceptible to fraud - make sure it's not yours.
- Finally - 12 surprise control checks that can be used to help prevent fraud.
CIMA members and students should log in to their MY CIMA account in order to receive the appropriate discounts.
The course starts at 9.30am. Lunch and refreshments are included.
6 CPD hours (where applicable)
CIMA Mastercourses held in partnership with BPP
Find out more
If you have any queries please email or phone us on +44 (0)845 026 4722.
CIMA on demand
CIMA on demand is a high quality online professional development solution, specifically designed for busy finance and business professionals. Find out more